Photographs of Marlborough 1859-1909
Men at Robinson's Mill, Rai Valley

Previous Next Photographs 1859-1909 Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 48/83
Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Marlborough Province - down the decades from early days
Photographer Irvin, James (Jim) Junior
Description Black and white mounted photograph of men outside what might well be the single men's living quarters at Mr. Robinson's mill, Rai Valley. There are 8 men: one is holding what looks like a piano accordian (squeeze box), another is washing a towel in a basin and three others are holding what look like sticks, or possibly guns and an axe. A covered cooking pot (camp oven) is in front of one man and a broom lies on the wooden decking.

Written on the back is Mrs. Cozens, Old Renwick Road. She is most likely the donor.

Stamped on the back is, "A.M. Hale Collection".

Also stamped on the back is, "J. Irvin, junr, Tua Marina, Marlborough, N.Z."

A scan of this photograph is to be used in the Changing European History Gallery 2 display in commemoration of the Marlborough Provincial 150th anniversary on 1 November 2009.
................................................................................................................................................................................
Caption 49
A day off work at Robinson's Mill, Rai Valley. With their iron chimneys, the huts look comfortable enough. Perhaps that is the cookhouse chimney behind? The tiny planked courtyard seems a practical set up for rainy weather. One man, having done his washing, wrings out wet gear, one or two make music, local gossip is probably amusing the others. 2009.067.0042

Object ID 2009.067.0042
Object Name Photograph
Place Tua Marina
Title Men at Robinson's Mill, Rai Valley
When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014